Getting Started with Cloud Apps on Your Chromebook
So you’ve just bought a shiny new Chromebook: Samsung, Acer, or HP. Here’s a step-by-step guide of how to get up and running with cloud applications on rollApp.
1. Work online with office apps in Chrome
rollApp offers a suite of Chrome-based office apps that help you be more productive: OpenOffice and LibreOffice. As a rollApp user, you don’t need to install any software on your Chromebook. No downloading. Simply start working within the application in Google Chrome browser:
- Select an app and click Launch Online.
- You’ll be prompted to sign-in to rollApp – don’t freak out about this – we’ll make the App Collection work for you in the cloud.
- Use File > Save As to save your work. When you launch an online app on rollApp, you have several choices where your files will be saved or opened from: Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive. So you’ll need to connect cloud storage.
2. Open and edit any files directly in Chrome – just put them in your Dropbox first
- How to Save and Edit Cloud Files in rollApp
- How to Open an ODF OpenOffice File on Chromebook
- Alternatively, connect Box cloud storage to your rollApp account.
3. For a good housekeeping, use the Chrome App Launcher
The Chrome App Launcher allows you to run your favorite applications right from the desktop. Learn more: How to Create App Shortcuts and Use The Chrome App Launcher
Looking for more work-related apps for Chrome OS? Browse productivity apps in the Chrome Web Store.
4. Preview almost any file on the web – no software to install
“Did exactly what I needed it to! Opened an rtf. document that my teacher posted online that my CHROMEbook couldn’t read! Easy and Fast!” ~ Jillian Revier
We make it easy to view 100+ file types, including documents, ebooks, and archives directly in Google Chrome. Learn more: How to Use rollApp File Opener in the Chrome Toolbar
5. Be more productive using your browser
Get familiar with The 7 Habits of Highly Effective rollApp Users